Google Chrome is regarded as one of, if not the best internet browsers available, will many people preferring Chrome over Firefox, Microsoft Edge and even Apple's own Safari.
On a Mac however, Safari is usually set as the default browser, so we have created this step-by-step guide on how to set Google Chrome as your default browser.
Table of Contents
What is Google Chrome?
Google Chrome is a browser developed by Google. It allows users to access websites on the internet. When you want to watch Netflix, surf the internet, or check emails, Chrome is a solid choice - even more so if you have a Gmail account.
Advantages of Chrome
We have compiled a list of reasons to choose Chrome over other browsers such as Edge, Firefox and Safari. This will help you determine if Chrome is the right browser for you.
- Chrome is fast to load pages: It is one of the quickest browsers out there. With proven records of beating other browsers like Edge and Firefox in terms of speed - Chrome loads website quickly.
- Multitasking is easier on chrome: You can easily drag tabs into other windows.
- The interface is simple and easy to use: It's perfect for people who don't correctly know how to navigate their browser.
- The Google Chrome search algorithm is one of the best out there. The Google search algorithm can simply not be beaten. Built with artificial intelligence over the years, it always returns the most accurate information that is relevant to your search. Google search is nicely integrated into Google Chrome.
- Many search results are in a foreign language: Chrome has a built-in translation feature. This automatically translates a page to your native language.
- You can hide your online search using the "incognito mode": This helps ensure that none of your data is being logged. It is an essential feature if you want to maintain online privacy.
- Chrome is customizable: Chrome allows you to change its color and theme. Not just that, you can also install plugins such as AdBlockers, and VPNs such as NordVPN - all easily accessible on the Chrome plugin bar.
- It is easy to install: With just a few clicks, you can be using one of the best browsers available, all you need to do is follow this guide.
How To Install Chrome
We mentioned how Chrome is easy to install and use. However, if you're doing it for the first time on a Mac, it might be be intimidating. There is no need to worry, as we have listed below the steps to download Chrome on your Mac. This will only take a few clicks, and you will be done in no time.
- Open up Safari.
- Click here.
- Click on the "Download Chrome" option.
- You will be presented with a set of terms and conditions.
- Read these and choose "Accept and Install".
- Wait a few seconds for the download to be complete.
- Open the downloaded file.
- Drag the on-screen Google Chrome icon to the Application icon.
- Wait a few seconds till the installation process is complete.
- Double click to open Chrome.
How to set Chrome as your default browser?
Now that you have downloaded Chrome, you may want to set this as your default browser. Luckily, this process is also easy. Here is how to do it.
- Open up the Chrome browser.
- Go to Settings
- Choose "Preferences".
- A window will open up.
- There will be a category of "Default Web Browser".
- Click on "Make Default."
- A pop-up box will appear, select "Use Chrome."
- Google chrome has been set as your default browser.
We hope this article helped you set Chrome as your default browser on your Mac.