Are you looking to record your first podcast without spending a fortune on setting up your equipment and software? Well, we've got good news. You don't need expensive equipment or a soundproof studio, your Mac does the job perfectly. While expensive items can certainly help you record high-quality podcasts, you can still record an amazing sounding podcast with equipment that you already own. We have created this guide to help you record and edit your first podcast on your Mac.
Table of Contents
Software to Record Your Podcast on a Mac
Before you even get started, you might be overwhelmed by the sea of options available out there. Don't panic, we have narrowed it down to three best. All three of them are free on Mac and will help you produce high-quality podcasts without much effort.
QuickTime Player is our first recommendation. It's pre-installed on your Mac and chances are that you’re already familiar with this application. QuickTime is the default built-in utility for playing downloaded media on your Mac. What a lot of Mac are not aware of is that Quicktime is an excellent piece of software for recording your podcast. Here is how to do it:
- Open QuickTime player using Finder Application or the search icon.
- Hover over the File option on the top of the screen.
- Click on "New Audio Recording."
- An audio recording window will open up.
- Click the red button to start recording.
- Once you're done with the recording, click on the red button again to stop recording.
- You will be given the option to save the recording wherever you want.
- Save the files with a proper name, so it's easy to access later on.
It's that easy!
If QuickTime Player doesn't cater to your needs, then we recommend checking out GarageBand. It is the most widely used free software for recording and editing a podcast on Mac for obvious reasons. The interface is super easy to use, and the tools it offers are useful for both amateurs and professional podcast recorders. GarageBand has three main uses: recording, editing, and exporting your podcast. Here's how to record your first podcast with Garage Band:
Recording on Garage Band
- Open GarageBand.
- Click "Project."
- Choose "Podcasts" to get started.
- Enter the name and location you want your podcast to be stored.
- Click "Create."
- Open the project you just created.
- Click on the red button to start recording.
- Once you're done, click on the red button again to end the recording.
- A window will pop up where you can play and review your recording.
Editing on Garage Band
- Whether the audio file is recorded on GarageBand or not, you can still edit it here.
- Simply drag and drop the audio file into the GarageBand arena.
- The file will turn orange, indicating that it is ready to be edited.
- In GarageBand, you can crop or move a file, add effects, and perform countless other editing tricks.
- To add effects, click on the sound to listen to it.
- Once decided which effect to use, just drag it to the main arena.
- Similarly, to add media files, select the desired file from the media browser, and to drag it to the "drag artwork here" area.
Exporting on Garage Band
- Make sure you're done with the recording and editing.
- Hover your cursor to the share icon on the top of the screen.
- Select "Export Podcast to Disk."
- Choose the encoding type for your podcast from the drop-down menu.
- Click on export the save it.
Audacity is another great piece of recording and editing software that we can use for recording and editing podcasts. The basic recording features are similar to those of the previously mentioned software (you use the red button to start and stop recording) so we will move onto the audio editing features.
Audacity is the most professional software on our list. It has a bit of a learning curve, therefore, we recommend that after reading this guide, you play some stock sounds on Audacity and test out the features for yourself, to get the hang of then. There are only four out of the many features that you'll need to use in order to create a quality podcast. Still, as you get more experienced with it, you can use other elements to edit the audio according to your liking.
Note: Before you start recording, record two seconds of ambient noise as it will help out in the editing later on.
How to Download Audacity on Mac
- Head here and download the installation file.
- After the download is complete, a popup window will open.
- Drag the audacity icon to the Applications folder.
- Open up Applications and click on the Audacity icon to launch the software.
Noise Removal on Audacity
No matter how careful you are to try not to get any background noise, some of it always gets into your mic. To help with that, we recommend using the noise removal tool with in Audacity to make sure there is little to no background noise. It should be noted that very loud background noises cannot be removed using this. Below we have listed the steps to carry out noise removal:
- Select the few seconds of the ideal audio that you recorded before your podcast.
- Select the noise removal feature by clicking on the effects section on the top of the screen.
- Click on the "get noise profile option."
- Select the entire clip.
- You'll be taken out of the audio removal section, so go back there.
- Click on the "remove noise" option at the bottom of the window.
- It will take a few seconds to remove the noise.
- You'll notice that the line of the section you pre-recorded is flat.
- You may select and delete that flat section.
Normalization on Audacity
If your audio is not as loud as per your requirements, don't worry. Audacity's Normalization feature helps to bring all the peaks or high points of your audio clip to a certain level. Here is how to do it:
- Select your audio file.
- Click "Effect."
- Select "Normalize."
- Change the normalization to 1.5 dB. If you want louder noise, you can change it to 2.0, or 1.0 if you want it to be quieter.
- Meanwhile, you can preview the audio, helping you set the appropriate value for your recording.
- Click "Ok" to carry out normalization.
Equalization on Audacity
An equalization tool is used to reduce the frequency, therefore making the audio sound more natural. The equalization settings might be a bit intimidating, but follow along to our guide and we assure you it will be a breeze. We highly recommend that you test different equalization options to understand what settings suit you the best and for that, we have provided general settings for which almost all audio files will sound good. Here is how to do it:
- Select your audio file.
- Click "Effects"
- Go to "Equalization."
- Change the "select curve" to AM radio, which is recommended for podcasts.
- Click "Ok."
Compression on Audacity
Compression is a tool used to make the loud sounds softer, and the soft sounds louder. This makes the audio more balanced and pleasing to hear.
- Select your audio file.
- Go to "Effects."
- Click "Compressor."
- Apply the compressor by clicking.
- This step is optional, but we recommend re-normalizing the sound by repeating the steps for normalization that we provided earlier.
Best Podcast Equipment on a Budget
If you have a bit of extra money and truly want to make the best podcasts you can, we recommend investing in a mic and some soundproofing to ensure the highest quality audio. We have listed below a few mics and some soundproofing that is inexpensive and ideal for beginners.
With there being thousands of options, and very few actually sounding good, buying a budget microphone can be a tough thing to do. We have shortlisted two cheap microphones, which will provide you the best value for the price.
Fifine USB Condenser Microphone
The Fifine USB Condenser Microphone provides exceptional sound quality, especially for the price. In a saturated market of generic microphones, this manages to stand out because of its insane build quality and overall performance.
- Plug and play Usb recording microphone with 5.9-Foot USB Cable included for computer PC laptop that connects directly to USB port for record music,computer singing or podcast. Easy to use and install...
- Solid sturdy metal construction design computer microphone with stable tripod stand is convenient when you are doing voice overs or livestreams on YouTube.
- Recording microphone with additional volume knob itself has a louder output and is more sensitive,your voice would be heard well enough when gaming ,skyping or voice recording.
- USB-powered design condenser microphone for recording no need the 48v Phantom power supply, work well with Cortana,Discord,voice chat and voice recognition.
- Cardioid polar pattern condenser microphone for computer captures your voice properly,produce clear smooth and crisp sound without static noise.Great for gamers/streamers at isolating the sounds from...
The Blue Snowball does not disappoint. This is one most highly praised microphones as it is considered the cheaper version of the already popular Blue Yeti Microphone. The true value of this mic appears when you take your time to edit your audio, as it allows for a range of edits on the audio.
- Custom condenser capsule offers crystal clear audio for Skype, Messages and FaceTime
- Record vocals, create podcasts, and add narration to your home movies
- Add crystal clear audio to recordings for YouTube. Frequency Response: 40 –18 kHz
- Easy plug and play directly to your Mac or PC-no drivers to install
- Snowball iCE is a USB 2.0 device (USB 3.0 compatible as per USB 3.0 backward compatibility specification).Sample/word Rate: 44.1 kHz/16 bit
If there is a lot of background noise or echo, then your sound quality tends to suffer. As a fix, some soundproofing padding can elevate your sound quality. However, you should be careful while setting up these pads, as these can potentially damage your walls. Other than that, padding is an exceptional way of improving your sound quality.
- ★ Good Sound Absorption Characteristics - If you are mixing music in a recording studio, you have to reduce ambient sound. Any unwanted noise can ruin the recording. However, if you’re assembling...
- ★ Quality - You may be concerned that our acoustic soundproof foam is so lightweight and affordable, it’s of lower quality than other acoustic foam panels on the market. Rest assured, our Acoustic...
- ★ Value - Acoustic Foam Panels are so popular, because they are the most cost effective, studio grade sound absorbing product. Our design requires less material and truly lightweight, so we can...
- ★ Ease of Installation - If you’ve ever seen our soundproof foam before, then you know how easy is to work with. Since, it’s not a high-density foam, you won’t have to wrestle with to get it...
- ★ Commercial installations are endless. Whether you are a contractor, architect or simply a homeowner looking for a handy solution to a noise problem, you can count on Siless Acoustic foam panels....
- u【Eco-friendly and Safety】Made of high quality environmentally polyurethane foam, these studio foam are durable and effective, no health risks, safe to use.
- u【Noise Absorbing】Our sound foam panels can dampen and diffuse mid to low frequency sound waves inside of a room, to minimize interference, increases increasing sound clarity.
- These soundproofing foam panels come with 24 pack in the package, each tile is 1 square foot of 1 inch thick acoustic wedge, 12 pack covers an area of 12 square feet.
- u【Easy to Install】These studio sound absorbing panels can be used as acoustic cover for walls, ceilings and doors, just easily attach it with staples, nails, screws, tacks or glue.
- u【Widely Usage】Our sound dampening foam panels are great for recording studios, vocal booths, control rooms, also ideal for home theaters, professional movie theaters, concert halls and more.
- ★Soundproof Foam Recovery The Original Size Methods -- Open the Vacuum package, put the foam panels in a ventilated place about 48 hours. Another method is soak the foam in water for 1 minute wring...
- ★Package includes -- You will get 48 Pack acoustic foam panels and 288 Pieces 3M adhesive tabs mounting. Measuring the panel 12”x12”x2”, each tile covers about 1 sq. ft. There are 6*48 pack...
- ★Great for Treating Sound on Walls in your Studio or Office --Create a great listening or recording environment with the best value noise reduction products.For use in recording studios, control...
- ★Higher density, Eco-Friendly and Fire-Proof -- Our sound absorbing foam panels crafted from fire-retardant and eco-Friendly material, it has 6 slots and it is safe to use in small and medium-sized...
- ★100% Satisfaction Shopping -- If you have any questions about the product, please contact our customer service team, all message will be replied within 24 hours. Thanks.
If you follow these steps, you'll be able to create a very nice sounding podcast using only your Mac very easily. However, the editing tools and settings mentioned in this guide are just the tip of the iceberg - there is a lot more to it as you progress. We hope this guide helped you record your first podcast. If it did, let us know in the comments!