Do you want to play Fortnite on your Mac? Are you having trouble installing or running the game on your device? Well, don’t worry. While most Mac’s hardware isn’t made for hardcore gaming, it’s more than powerful for light gaming, especially if it’s some small gaming sessions between work. This article will provide you with a detailed guide on how to play Fortnite on a Mac, as well as how to make your experience more pleasant.
Table of Contents
What Exactly is Fortnite?
Fortnite is a popular, free to play online battle royale. In Fortnite, as in all battle royales, 100 players are dropped at an island where they search for unique weapons and collect different items. Along the way, they have to eliminate other players using the guns that they collect.
It has multiple other features like the ability to build different kinds of structures using wood or metal that you can collect by demolishing trees, cars, or other structures. You can also customize your character - however, this will require you to purchase a digital currency called "V-Bucks."
Fortnite can be played in single-player mode, squads of 4, or 2 teams of 50. Due to the game being free, having colorful and appealing graphics, and executing the battle royale video game trope really well, it has caught the attention of millions of players, making it the most famous battle royale. Not only that, but Fortnite also has a great community, and thousands of streamers such as Ninja, Dakotaz and many more are playing the game on Twitch and YouTube.
How to Install Fortnite on Your Mac
Installing Fortnite on a Mac is easy. If you're familiar with the general download process, then this will be a breeze. Only your browser is required throughout. Before installing Fortnite, it is recommended you have at least 100 GB of storage available so you can play the game smoothly. Here’s how you can download and install Fortnite:
- Open Safari of your preferred internet browser (like Chrome).
- Search for "Epic Games Fortnite" and click on the first link.
- When you land on the website, the download will begin automatically.
- If it doesn't, click on the option that says "Mac."
- Once the download is finished, click on the "Epic" installer.
- Drag the Fortnite icon to the Application installer.
- Close the installer window when you're done.
- Navigate to Applications within Finder.
- Double click on the Epic Games Launcher and click "Open".
- An update will be downloaded.
- Create an account with Epic, or sign in into an already existing account. You can create an account through Facebook, Google, PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo Switch.
- On the page that now comes up, click on Fortnite and then scroll down and click on "Get." The game should start downloading and will likely take several hours.
- Click "Launch" and then agree to the terms and conditions.
- When you’re done, Fortnite will be launched.
How to Run Fortnite Smoothly on Your Mac
Create Disk Space
It’s highly likely that, if you’re a heavy Mac user, you might not have enough space on your device for Fortnite. When freeing storage, you might delete certain applications, pictures, and videos, which is an excellent way to create free space. Still, it takes a lot of time, and honestly, it isn’t necessary.
We recommend using CleanMyMac X. CleanMyMac X deletes unwanted files such as cached files and broken downloads very quickly. You can easily locate files that take up gigabytes of space and clean them. Don’t worry, you will not end up deleting any important data as the application will always ask for your permission before trashing any data. If you want to create space on your Mac for Fortnite and you want to do it quickly, you should check out CleanMyMac X.
Use the Appropriate Settings
As soon as you launch Fortnite, go into the settings menu by clicking on the three dots in the top right-hand corner of the screen. From there, click on "Settings."
Initially, you should change all the settings to their lowest mode, turn off V-sync and motion blur, switch frame rate to unlimited and turn on the "show frame rate" option. You can now start playing. Meanwhile, keep an eye on the Frames per Second (FPS). It will be displayed right beside the map in the top right-hand corner of the screen.
If this is between 30 to 60 FPS, you are good to continue playing. If this is more than 60 FPS, then you may increase a few of the settings. However, if the frame rate is below 30 FPS, then you may need to lower the resolution down to 720p to get smooth gameplay. If that doesn’t help, you may need to decrease the resolution further and even the sound quality.
Close Background Apps
Before launching the game, make sure to close all background apps. This might increase the overall performance of your Mac.
Accessories to Enhance Your Fortnite Experience
While you can definitely play Fortnite with the built-in Mac keyboard and trackpad, we highly recommend buying a few gaming accessories which will make a significant difference in your overall experience.
Have you played on a console before? If yes, then buying a controller to game on your Mac should be a no brainer. A controller is easy to use and requires almost no prior learning. If you are looking to buy one, we have created a list of the best controllers you can buy right now to play Fortnite on your Mac.
- PowerA Enhanced: If you’re on a budget and looking for a controller for Fortnite, we recommend the PowerA enhanced wired controller. As the name suggests, it’s a wired controller without Bluetooth support, but the wire that comes with it is 3m long, so you get a pretty decent range. The build quality is just okay, as the PowerA uses the cheaper plastic, but if you’re just starting out, it won’t bother you much. It even has two programmable buttons at the back. We think it is a solid pick for anyone who is just starting out doesn’t want to spend loads on a controller.
- Xbox Wireless Controller: The Xbox Wireless Controller is one of the best in the market. It is incredibly comfortable, with an extended Bluetooth range and a 3.5mm headphone jack, and has the typical Xbox design with a textured grip. While the controller doesn’t have a ton of features, the features it does have are extremely well built.
SaleXbox Wireless Controller - Grey And Blue
- Experience the enhanced comfort and feel of the Xbox wireless controller
- Features a dark grey design with light grey and blue accents
- Plug in any compatible headset with the 3.5 millimeter stereo headset jack
- Stay on target with textured grip
- Includes Bluetooth technology for gaming on Windows 10 PCs and tablets
- Elite Series 2: If you are looking for a more premium controller, we recommend the series 2 of the Xbox Elite Controller. You can download the Xbox accessories app to customize button mapping and profile configuration. It also has swappable components and an insane battery life, which is rated at 40 hours per charge. The build feels premium, but that comes at a cost. However, even for the price, this controller still does not disappoint.
No products found.
Mouse, Keyboard and Headset
If you are a Mouse and Keyboard person, we have rounded up the best bundles that provide great value and feature high-quality products. Individually, these products are outstanding; complementing each other in a bundle though, they become so much more impressive.
- HP Gaming Bundle: If you’re on a budget, the HP gaming bundle will be your best choice. The bundle comes with HP Gaming Keyboard 500, a mechanical keyboard with RGB lights. Unfortunately, the lights aren’t super bright and aren’t customizable either. The mouse included is the HP Mouse 400. It has clicky buttons and has RGB installed. We won’t call it unique, but it certainly gets the job done.
It also comes with a mousepad with a natural rubber base. Again, this is not really premium but is sill a welcome inclusion. The HP Gaming Headset 400 included in the bundle is a decent quality headset. It has good audio quality and comes with a built-in microphone. At this price point, we think its worth it.HP Gaming Bundle | Includes OMEN by HP Mouse 400, HP Pavilion Gaming Keyboard 500, HP Pavilion Gaming Headset 400, and HP Pavilion Gaming Mouse Pad 300 | Wired, RGB Lighting, 1-Yr Warranty, Black
- 4-IN-1 HP GAMING BUNDLE: This HP gaming kit features a customizable wired gaming keyboard and mouse combo, a high-quality stereo gaming headset equipped with a microphone and a large mouse pad
- OMEN BY HP MOUSE 400: Wired gaming mouse with 8-color RGB lighting, adjustable DPI (400 - 5,000 DPI) optical sensor, comfortable ambidextrous design, 6 customizable buttons, instant ‘Sniper Mode’...
- HP PAVILION GAMING KEYBOARD 500: Wired mechanical gaming keyboard with epic green LED backlighting, anti-ghosting with 10 key rollovers, smooth keystrokes allowing for rapid action in silence, media...
- HP PAVILION GAMING HEADSET 400: Wired gaming headset with stereo sound for deep bass and crisp highs, soft leather ear pads for prolonged sessions, foldable microphone with volume cord controls, and a...
- HP PAVILION GAMING MOUSE PAD 300: Large 15.7 x 13.7 inch (400 x 350 mm) surface area for any DPI setting, natural rubber base to prevent slipping, rigorously tested for durability and reliability,...
- Corsair Essential Bundle: The Corsair Essentials Wired Bundle is a popular choice. It features the k55 Membrane Keyboard, which, despite not being mechanical, has a great feel to it. It is made of plastic, but for the price, it is really nice. It also has a wrist read and six programmable keys, which are useful for building during Fortnite. The RGB on the keyboard is impressive too, as it gives you a very authentic gaming keyboard look.
The mouse included is the Harpoon RGB Gaming Mouse. It has RGB along with a few media buttons. The mouse might be a bit small for users with bigger hands, but it is very well built overall. A mouse pad is included in the bundle.
The best part about this bundle though, is the HS-50 Gaming Headset. The headset comes with a high-quality mic with a mute switch and volume adjuster. The sound quality is unmatched. The bass is excellent, with amazing highs and lows, and you might end up using this not just for Fortnite but also for music.
- Razer Gaming Bundle: If you have a few more dollars to spare, then we recommend getting the Razer Gaming Bundle. It includes the Razer Ornata Chroma Gaming Keyboard and a Naga Trinity Mouse. This does not come with a headset, but we suggest you pick up the Razer Kraken X. The keyboard is a high-quality membrane keyboard. The keys have individual RGB, and the RGB is entirely customizable through Razer’s software. The mouse is a high-quality RGB mouse, with interchangeable side plates. The plates can have a 2, 7, or 12 button configurations.
The Razer Kraken X is extremely comfortable and has a bendable mic. It is lightweight and extremely comfortable for extended Fortnite sessions. Even though the price of this bundle is on the higher side, it is still worth it if you are looking to do some serious gaming.
To take your setup to the next level, you can get a gaming monitor. We have reviewed the two best monitors you can buy for the best possible Fortnite experience on a Mac.
- ASUS VP228HE: Monitors usually get costly. However, this monitor shouldn’t burn a hole in your wallet and the Asus VP228HE is one of the best monitors for its price. It is a 1080p, 21.5-inch monitor with a VGA and HDMI port included for plugging in your Mac. What really makes this monitor unique is that it has a 75-hertz screen, which means that your Fortnite experience will be ultra-smooth. Along with that, it has a 1ms response time, which ensures that there is no latency between what you see and what is actually happening. For its price, we think this monitor is a steal.
Asus VP228HE 21.5” Full HD 1920x1080 1ms HDMI VGA Eye Care Monitor,Blacklight
- 21. 5” Full HD (1920x1080) with 1ms response time for crisp visuals featuring HDMI and VGA connectivity
- Asus Eye Care technology lowers Blue light and eliminates flickering to reduce eyestrain and ailments
- Built in 1. 5W stereo speakers allow for full sound without external speakers
- Exclusive game plus adds in-game viewing for adding a crosshair, timer, FPS, counter and display alignment
- Asus Rapid replacement 3 Years Service with free cross shipping
- Sceptre C234B: If you are looking to spend a bit more, then we recommend getting the Sceptre C234B. This is also a 1080p monitor and has a 24-inch screen with an adjustable stand. It also has multiple output ports, so you use it with almost every device. What really seals the deal for this monitor is that it has a 144hertz curved display, which is bezel-less, so it will provide a highly immersive experience.
Sceptre 30-inch Curved Gaming Monitor 21:9 2560x1080 Ultra Wide Ultra Slim HDMI DisplayPort up to 200Hz Build-in Speakers, Metal Black (C305B-200UN)
- 30" Curved Gaming Monitor 2560 x 1080 Full HD Resolution. Response Time- 5ms GTG
- DP Up to 200Hz Refresh Rate / HDMI 2. 0 Up to 120Hz Refresh Rate: More than double the standard refresh rate, 200Hz gives gamers an edge in visibility as frames transition instantly, leaving behind no...
- AMD Free Sync With Free Sync, gamers now enjoy smooth video and seamless on the spot movement through their fast paced games. Free Sync is an AMD technology that nearly eliminates tearing and...
- FPS-RTS FPS and RTS are Scepter's custom set display settings built for an enhanced gaming experience. FPS (First Person Shooter) , RTS (Real-Time Strategy).
- Blue Light Shift Reduce your monitors blue light to protect you from eye fatigue, irritation and strains. This enables you to work on you documents, watch movies, or play games more comfortably for...
Playing Fortnite on a Mac is a great idea. There is no need to buy a completely new gaming PC or laptop for it and by getting the accessories we listed, your Fornite experience will can be made better too.