Looking for maximum protection for your MacBook Pro? The MacBook Pro is a marvelous and beautiful piece of technology. However, they can easily break or get damaged, thus wasting our precious money.
Due to their modern sleek design, you have to be careful when handling Macbook Pros, or else it can catastrophically result in a bent, dent, or a scratched device. For a while now, consumers have been able to use shells to protect their MacBook Pros.
Here is a detailed guide on everything you need to look for when buying a shell for your device and some excellent options for you to consider.
Table of Contents
Factors To Look For
Shells provide impact absorption. In the unfortunate event of you dropping your MacBook Pro, it will act as a barrier of protection. Shell have saved many devices from being permanently damaged. Whenever buying a particular shell, you'll have to go through a few criteria based on which you need to determine the right product for you.
Safety is essential when searching for a shell. However, different people require varying levels of protection. For example, an office worker might not need a very heavy-duty shell, just one that does its job well. Someone who uses their device around a child, on the other hand, might require the most safety you can get. The apparent trade-off to buying a more secure shell is greater bulk. Manufacturers use a thicker material to provide higher impact resistance.
Devices such as iPhones and MacBooks have years of engineering prowess behind them. Covering them up with a shell feels insulting, but it is a necessary sacrifice that many must make. You can, however, buy a more aesthetic sleeve to maintain some of that fancy look.
The first thing buyers usually look at is the price of any product. Everyone is out there looking for the best deal and saving as much money as they possibly can. Setting up a budget to work with is essential. You'll also need to understand what you will get for that price range. A more expensive product may look enticing, but it might not necessarily be better for you than a cheaper alternative.
Top MacBook Pro Shells
Here are our picks for some of the best shells in the market.
MOSISO MacBook Pro Case
The MOSIO MacBook Pro Case is for those looking for the most basic shell - and one that won't break the bank. It is made up of hard plastic that gets the job done. You can rest assured that your MacBook won't be damaged from minor falls. It looks fairly plain and minimalistic with an Apple logo in the center and there are many colors to choose from - black, blue, red, etc.
The real value comes with what's included in the entire package. Two plastic cases are provided for the top and bottom part of your MacBook Pro. They have sufficient ventilation so as not to cause any airflow or heating issues. There is also a keyboard cover that is built surprisingly well and doesn't affect the typing experience. A screen protector is included too, which is easy to install. The last item is a carrying pouch for small items like a cable or USBs.
At a cost of less than $20, we believe that this is an excellent buy for anyone.
- ONLY compatible with 2020 2019 2018 2017 2016 MacBook Pro 13 inch (A2338 M1 A2289 A2251 A2159 A1989 A1706 with Touch Bar & A1708 without Touch...
- Please kindly check the model number "Axxxx" on the back of the laptop before your purchase, make sure you choose the exact same model number as the listing title stated "A2338" or "A2289" or "A2251"...
- WARNING: This case is NOT compatible with other model laptops. Fully vented for safe heat disbursement, fully access to all buttons and features. Snap on design, easy on easy off. Plug your cable or...
- Case dimension: 12 x 8.5 x 0.6 inch, compatible with MacBook Pro 13 inch with/without Touch Bar and Touch ID with dimension: 11.97 x 8.36 x 0.59 inch (2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Release). Ultra slim...
- Including 2 matching color keyboard covers (one compatible with MacBook Pro 13 inch with touch bar 2020 release models A2338 M1 A2251 A2289 and another compatible with MacBook Pro 13 inch with touch...
KECC Case for MacBook Pro
The KECC MacBook Pro Case has a much better design than most other shells in the market. It comes with a top and bottom plastic case and a keyboard cover similar to the previous option. There are no other accessories included.
The significant selling point for the product is the vast array of available designs. Our favorite is the White Marble finish, but there are other options like a purple interstellar look as well as black fabric. At around $25, it is not ultra cheap, but is still a fantastic option for those looking for a beautiful shell for their MacBook Pro.
- Mac Pro 13 Inch Case (2020/2019/2018/2017/2016, With or Without Touch Bar) Cover is for model number A2159 / A1989 / A1706 / A1708 ONLY. It is NOT COMPATIBLE with OLD Mac Pro 13" with Retina Display...
- Cut Out Design, Shines through the case. Design lets you Open/Close your Mac all the way and Full Access to All Ports.
- Mac Hard Shell Cover contains a layer of Rubber Oil Paint for a Smooth Rubberized Exterior Texture - Prevent Fingerprints, Slipping, Scratches, Drops, Dirt, Smudges and Other Damages.
- Sleek, Glossy 2 Piece Design - Easy to Install and Take Off. 4 Rubberized Feet keeps your Mac Laptop Notebook Stable and Secure. Bottom Shell Case Cover Vented for Maximum Heat Dissipation and...
- KECC Mac Lapop Shell Case Cover is very Slim and light weight. Easy and Convenient to Carry Around with your bags.
Urban Armor Gear UAG MacBook Pro
The previous options were good, but they for sure won't be able to handle significant drops. The Urban Armor MacBook Pro Case, on the other hand, is an entirely different type of product.
The thick and rigid exterior can survive even the most severe falls. It has a rugged look that not everyone will appreciate, but it will give your device a military feel.
The price is one major drawback. At around $50, it is not something that everyone might like to spend on a shell, but that's the price you pay for maximum protection.
- Compatible with the MacBook Pro 13-inch (4th Gen, 2016-2019) with Touch Bar and Non-Touch Bar. Compatible with the following Model Numbers: A1708, A1706, A1989, A2159
- Armor shell and impact resistant bumpers
- Tactile grip that provides secure handling even in wet or slippery conditions
- Dual lock secure screen closure with cooling vents for uncompromised air flow
- Meets military drop-test standards (MIL STD 810G 516.6)
Alternatives To Shells
If you feel like a shell isn't for you, then you should look towards buying a sleeve. They are like a mini carrying case for your MacBook that also provide some protection, due to their thickness. You can read more about the best MacBook Pro Sleeve here.