Only a few years back, wireless charging was a concept of science fiction. Through the advancement of technology though, wireless charging has sine been brought to the general public. According to many, phones of the future will even become completely portless and wired charging will be a relic technology of the past. This really doesn't seem farfetched now - we witnessed the headphone jack suffer a similar fate.
Table of Contents
Which iPhone Models Support Wireless Charging?
First questions first, which iPhone models support wireless charging?
All iPhones models released since 2017 have wireless charging. This means all models starting with the iPhone 8 and iPhone X. The iPhone 7 is the most recent iPhone that does not support wireless charging.
Why Do You Need Wireless Charging?
Many people don’t realize the importance of wireless chargers. They are a great piece of technology that have revolutionized the way we energize to our iPhones. They have many pros over the traditional method that many ignore. Here are a few reasons why a wireless charger is necessary for you.
The most obvious reason one would buy a wireless charger is because of the ease it offers. You can just place your iPhone and it gets powered. No need to deal with cables, it’s almost like magic.
Less Likely To Break
Most people have had their cables break at least once in their lifetime. Indeed, wireless chargers can also be damaged, however, since you don’t have a fiddle with the wire, they are not as vulnerable. The likelihood of your charging port to malfunction is also less as you no longer are using it, so that’s one less phone part that you have to worry about.
A common complaint that users had about wireless charging technology pads was it being really slow. Most chargers supplied only 5W of energy, which felt slow compared to wired chargers that could provide three to ten times faster charging. In this fast paced world, time is something we cannot waste. Luckily, wireless chargers have come a long way since then. Most have caught up, while some like the OnePlus Warp Charge 30 have exceeded most of the standard chargers. It provides 30 W of energy, which can charge most phones to 50% in less than half an hour. Clearly, speed is no issue in the modern-day and age.
This next reason won’t affect most of us today, but it’s what the future holds. If most people go wireless, then companies will make their phones completely portless. According to leaks, Apple will be one of the first companies to make this shift in about three years. Other manufacturers will soon follow. It might seem insignificant right now, but it will completely change how we use our iPhones daily.
Factors To Consider
Whenever buying any product, you need to keep a few things in mind. Here are a few factors that you need to consider when purchasing a wireless charger.
As previously mentioned, wireless charging has become faster. Unfortunately, the iPhone doesn’t utilize that full speed. You can charge it at a maximum energy of 7.5W, which is slightly faster than the regular charging with the most included wired chargers of iPhones. We recommend getting a minimum 7.5W or even 15W charging pad if you want to future proof your device.
Wireless chargers will stay on your table for a long time. We recommend buying one that fits with the general aesthetic of the room. Many wireless chargers are made to look beautiful so customers are more likely to buy it.
Charging With A Case
Most users have a case on their phone. It is necessary that the charger you buy should be able to charge through the case. All the products on our list have this feature.
A product is only as good if it doesn't break the bank. You should not only buy one that is within your budget but also makes sure the features offered are also competitive for the price.
Top Wireless Charger
Finding the perfect wireless charger is difficult given the range of options available. We have provided a few of the best ones in the market.
Anker Wireless Charger
Anker is known as one of the best companies when it comes to making fantastic charging products. From power banks to cables to even headphones, Anker makes them all. Their products are one of the highest quality out there. That’s why their wireless charger gets our recommendation.
It can charge at a speed of 10W, which isn’t super-fast but is more than enough for your iPhone. It also has a flip-able surface. You’re allowed to place your phone in any position like completely flat or on in a diagonal direction.
You are also provided a 3 ft micro USB Cable as well as an 18-month warranty. The design is minimalistic, and you get two colors-black and white. The Anker Wireless Charger costs around $20. The price is fantastic for the features offered and we think that it’s an excellent buy for anyone.
- The Anker Advantage: Join the 50+ million powered by our leading technology.
- A Galaxy of Speed: A high-efficiency chipset provides 10W high-speed charging for Samsung Galaxy. iPhones get a boosted 5W charge at 10% faster than other wireless chargers.
- Flip It: Charge in landscape orientation while watching videos, or portrait mode for messaging and facial recognition.
- Case Friendly: Don't fumble with your phone case. PowerWave charges directly through protective cases. Rubber/plastic/TPU cases less than 5 mm thick only. Magnetic and metal attachments or cards will...
- What You Get: PowerWave Stand, 3 ft Micro USB Cable, welcome guide, worry-free 18-month warranty, and friendly customer service.
Belkin Wireless Charging Dock
Those invested in the Apple ecosystem should invest in the offering by Belkin. The Belkin Wireless Charging Dock can charge your iPhone and your Apple Watch. You are provided with the maximum possible charging speed for each of the devices. There is also a charging port used to power up other devices, like the iPad or Air Pods. The design is minimalistic, but nothing special. The major downside is the price tag. The Belkin Wireless Dock will set you back by around $150.
- All in 1 Apple charging solution designed for iPhone + Apple watch + iPad/Air Pods
- Delivers fastest possible wireless charging speed for Qi enabled iPhones at 7.5W and Apple watch at 5W
- Compatible with iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 11 Pro Max, XS, XS Max, XR, X, 8, 8 Plus, Apple Watch 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- Additional USB A port charges a third device, including iPad, air pods and more (cable not included)
- Supports nightstand mode/alarm clock feature for Apple watch while charging
Native Union Dock Wireless Charger
The previous two chargers weren’t stylish. They didn’t look bad but didn’t stand out from all the other chargers in the market. If you’re looking for a more aesthetic one, then we recommend buying the one from Native. It comes in a few beautiful designs - Marquetry Rose, Rose, Marquetry Slate, Slate and Terrazzo Rose, and Terrazzo Slate.
These are definitely different from all the products out there. It charges your iPhone at 10W, right there with the minimum industry standard. The only disadvantage is the expensive price tag, ranging from $70 to $150 depending on the design you get.
- FOR WIRELESS COMPATIBLE DEVICES: iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE (2020), iPhone 8 or later. Google Pixel 5. Samsung Galaxy S21+, S21 Ultra, S21, Note 20, 10 Plus 5G, Note 10...
- OPTIMAL VIEWING ANGLE: Elevates your device to the optimal viewing angle for video calls and facial recognition
- FAST WIRELESS CHARGER STAND: Dual-coil fast wireless charger up to 10W in both portrait and landscape mode. Thermal protection sensor and foreign object detection provides fast and safe operation and...
- INCLUDES CHARGING CABLE: Comes with USB-C to USB-A 6.5 foot braided charging cable with genuine leather strap for fast wireless charging (DOES NOT INCLUDE USB WALL-ADAPTER)
- CHARGES THROUGH MOST CASES: Up to 3mm thickness. Note: as wireless charging placement is extremely sensitive, ensure your device is always accurately aligned to the charging coil (located on the...